Monday 1 October 2012

How to file complaint against operators for rejecting MNP

MNP violation by service providers will attract financial penalty however for that to happen you need to complain.

In case of a service provider rejecting a Mobile Number Portability request on frivolous grounds, the operator will have to pay fine of Rs 5,000 to Rs 10,000 for every violation, according to recent guideline by Telecom regulator, TRAI.

However, in order for that to happen, a consumer needs to complain at the correct place and also needs to keep all the records handy to prove his case. You can complain about MNP and any other grievance following the same steps.


Step 1

Call up the toll free customer service number of your service provider, and register your complaint. The teleco will then send you an SMS with complaint number, time and date of complaint.

The customer care of service providers usually tells the complaint number during the conversation itself. So even incase you do not get any SMS after your call, you can cite the complaint number as evidence of your complaint. The customer care will also give the time for resolution and also inform you when the resolution comes.

Step 2

If you are not satisfied with the resolution provided, or it remains unaddressed or no intimation of redressal of the complaint is received within the specified period, you can approach the next tier - the Appellate Authority for Redressal. You will find the name and number of the appellate authority on the website of your service provider, and also on the booklet that you got when you bought the SIM card.

The appellate authority will also give you a specific time for resolution. However, keep note of time, complaint number etc for future references.

To know your rights, you can refer to the booklet that comes with the SIM card. One of the important points here is that service providers are obliged to keep a record of each and every complaint for at least three months so even in case you lost your SMSes or other details, the service provider will have the record and you can ask for it.

Step 3

If even the appellate authority fails to resolve the issue, you can directly complain to the Department of Telecom of Government of India. You can approach the courts or the Public Grievance Cell of Department of Telecommunications (DoT).

You can send your written complaint against your service provider to the DoT by hand at Information and Facilitation Counter, Sanchar Bhawan, 20,Ashoka Road, New Delhi-110001. Else you can send the same by post to - Public Grievances Cell, Deptt. Of Telecom, Room No. 518, Sanchar Bhawan,20,Ashoka Road, New Delhi 110001.

You can also fax your complaint to 011- 23357777, or call them at 011- 23356666, or visit You can also get the telephone number and email id of the relevant officials in the public grievance cell of DoT from the regulators website (

Additionally, you can visit TRAI's Telecom Consumers Complaint Monitoring System ( which not just monitors complaints from telecom consumers but also helps in locating the "Consumer Care Number", "General Information Number" and contact details of the complaint center and appellate authority of the service providers. You can also check the status or your complaint through this website.

No comments:

Post a Comment